India: Medical Tourism Destination
Medical Tourism refers to traveling to another country for seeking medical treatment/s. the medical tourism services typically sought by travelers are elective procedures, essential procedures, complex surgeries, etc. India as a Medical Tourism Destination receives patients from 50 countries. The footfall of foreign nationals seeking treatment in India is approx. 5, 00,000 annually. The benefit India offers-Cost effectiveness, availability of skilled doctors, usage of modern technology, world-class healthcare facilities.
The reasons why India is gaining popularity as most sought after medical tourism destination
- Availability of well-trained healthcare professionals
- Well-equipped infrastructure
- India is known for its alternative medicine and Ayurveda centers.
- Cost-effective medical procedures and services as compared to global counterparts.
- Other motivating factors: Simplified M-visa process, low living cost, ease of communication, cheap flights, savings on procedural cost up to 50% at least
- The cost of treatment in India is about one-tenth as compared to the United States.
- Open Heart Surgery– approx. cost $3,000 to $10,000 in India as compared to $150,000 in USA