Coronary Artery Disease-Complications and Prevention
Coronary Artery Disease: Symptoms, Causes and Risk Factors
Coronary artery disease is a condition where there is blockage in the coronary arteries. Since coronary artery is a major artery which supplies the heart muscles with oxygen and nutrients its very important that there is no obstruction in its flow as it can further cause ischemia.
People who suffer from coronary artery disease experience the following symptoms :
- Pain in the chest
- Shortness of breath
- Severe pain in chest or sometimes pressure in chest and shoulder, sometimes extending to the neck, jaws and even back.
- Nausea and vomiting
- Light headedness
- Fast heart rate
- Arterial vasculitis
- Tear in the inner lining of the coronary artery
Risk factors :
- People suffering from hypertension / high blood pressure are more prone to develop coronary artery disease.
- High low density and very low density cholesterol increases the risk of coronary artery disease .
- Diabetes, increases the chances of getting coronary artery disease.
Other factors that increases the chance of developing coronary artery disease are:
- Smoking tobacco
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Unhealthy eating habits
- Stressful life
- Women who developed pre-eclampsia during pregnancy.
- Older people are more prone to develop coronary artery disease.
- Men are at higher risk than females.
- People who consume high amount of alcohol are more likely to develop coronary artery disease.
- Family history
Since heart is the pumping machine of the body and due to obstruction in its oxygen and nutrients supply will fatigue the cells causing complications like:
- Heart failure, as the heart is not functioning properly it is not able to pump blood properly in the body leading to oedema in lungs causing difficulties in breathing also oedema of liver, stomach and limbs.
- Arrhythmia or unregulated heart rate
- Chest pains
- Heart attack
- Sudden death
- Managing weight
- Eating healthy food
- Managing blood pressure and blood sugar levels
- Doing exercise and walks regularly.
- Reduce alcohol consumption and avoid smoking
When to see a doctor :
When you feel pain in arms back neck or jaws with Shortness of breath along with sweating and restless, it means its an emergency.